- School Vision & Values
- School Improvement
- Standards and Quality Report
- School Improvement Plan
- Important Information
- Term Dates and Holidays
- Catchment Checker
- Bus Timetable
- Severe Weather Arrangements
- School Day
- School Dress Code
- School Prospectus
- Departments & Staff
- Leadership Team & Staff List
- Business & Enterprise
- Computing & I.T.
- Department of Additional Support
- Design and Engineering Technology
- English and Literacy
- Expressive Arts
- Health and Well-Being
- Modern Languages
- Social Subjects
- Community Use
- Pupil Equity
Modern Languages in Lochgelly High School
Fact or fiction? Scotland doesn’t really need languages to improve its economy.
Wrong! Scotland is losing approximately £0.5 billion in potential income every year because we do not have enough people with language skills. The UK has the worst foreign language skills in Europe. This is acting in effect as a tax on UK trade. In Sweden 83% of 15 year-olds can cope (at a basic level) in a foreign language. In England it’s only 14%. Can we do better?
Fact or fiction? Everyone speaks English.
Wrong! 75% of the world's population do not speak any English at all. Only 6% of world population are native English speakers. Source: SCILT Scotland's National Centre for Languages.
âIf you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.âž
Former President of South Africa
Language skills are needed at all levels in the workforce, and not simply by an internationallyâ€mobile elite. What all employers are looking for is
- oral communication
- literacy and reading skills
- intercultural skills
- interpersonal skills
- presentation skills
- organisational skills
- time management
By learning a language, you develop ALL of these skills.
In Lochgelly High School you learn Spanish from S1 to S3 in the broad general education (BGE). From S4 on in the senior phase you can learn Spanish from National 4, National 5 to Higher and currently you can study for French Higher.
The Modern Languages faculty are developing close working links with the cluster primaries schools which teach Spanish. Teachers are keen to run trips to Spain and France and to extend the trips currently on offer.
The Modern Languages faculty are Mrs Lauckner, Principal Teacher, Modern Languages & Literacy, Ms Anderson and Mr Oswald, Depute Headteacher.
3 Key Facts
• Spanish is spoken in 44 countries worldwide and is the official language in 21 countries, including the USA. 329 million people speak Spanish as their first language.
• With Spanish it’s easier to learn French, Italian, Portuguese and Catalan.
• Spanish is the fourth most widely used language on the internet and is the fastest growing language in the world.
French: 3 Key Facts
• It is the first language spoken by 75 million people worldwide, including more than 15 African countries
• France is the most visited country in the world with 75 million tourists every year.
• It is the official language of many international organisations (e.g. the International Olympic Committee)